To: <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Thursday, December 25, 2008 10:30 AM
Subject: [Drakelist] REALLY DIFFERENT TR3

Thanks to some very nice guys on this list, who have been helpful to me, I have determined that I have a WEIRD Drake TR 3.

My TR 3 is Serial # 6564 and since there were various versions, I now know that the two boards between tube sockets V 18 and V 19 and the audio transformer are wired differently than those two TR3s below #10,000 owned by my friends Doyle and Larry. When I hook up the 3.3K resistor to the terminals used in their TR 3s I get hot resistors and SMOKE!!!!

When I put the 3.3k resistor between the top left terminal on the "forward" of the two boards and the top right terminal of the "next board back" from the front the receiver works albeit it is NOT very "hot" and the crystal calibrator reads only about S5 on the S meter. NO SMOKE when resistor is mounted between the two boards in that manner.

Does anyone have a TR 3 which has the 3.3k resistor mounted between the two boards at the top terminals of each???

MY schematic diagram is almost unreadable and the part designations and values are almost unreadable. In addition, my manual and schematic did not come with the TR 3 I have.

I love Drakes, but sometimes I think each was wired as if it was a prototype wired and assembled by retarded CHIMPS.

Anyone have any suggestions for trouble shooting this WEIRD conglomeration without the specific schematic and manual for this run of TR3s. Speaking of "runs" this thing gives me the runs!!!!!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to ALL!!! 73, John, K5PGW