Greetings Drake Aficionados,

The PA meter on my Drake L-4B has recently developed a problem that I have not
seen discussed in any previous postings in this group. The problem is the PA
meter begins to "stick" below zero between transmissions and after using the
L-4B for 10 minutes or so. Once I begin transmitting for a second or two, the
meter will become unstuck and then operate normally. The sticky PA meter always
happens when the HV switch is in the SSB position and never happens when the
switch is in the CW/TUNE position. Other than this, the amp works well and
sounds excellent and all voltages and currents are within spec. As way
background, The L-4PS was recently rebuilt with almost all new components
except for the case and the transformer. Everything in the RF deck is original
except for the Harbach step-start kit.

This problem reminds me of the old joke about the man who went to doctor to
complain about having an pain when he moved his shoulder at which point the doc
said "well don't move your shoulder." I can certainly live with the sticky PA
meter or even use the L-4B at the CW/TUNE position, but I am worried that this
may be an early symptom of a greater problem. Or it may just be a bulky meter
after is runs for a while.

Any thoughts on what may be going on here?

Thanks and 73,

Tom, W1CC