Thanks Chuck. I've taken the cover off and the balun is perfect, plastic wire spacers are as new, no sign of heat, wire enamel good as new. Personally I've never even attempted 160M operation, the burnt 160M cap would have never been used by me. FWIW, the cap checker says it's capacitance is 2000 pF as printed.

I also tried an outboard elecraft balun fed from the coax output, no difference in behavior.

I'm suspicious the damage was caused while rearranging the operating position and the tuner was dropped about 2" to the desktop. Maybe the bandswitch has a crack that I can't see. If that's the case, guess it's a parts queen. Don't imaging these ceramic switches are available anymore.

73, Curt KB5JO