Greetings to you all.

I'm new to the Drake world and I just recently traded for a R-4A/T-4X combo
that had sat unused for many years. While the equipment is in pretty decent
shape over all, all of the mechanical elements were gummed up with hardened
grease, oil and nicotine  deposits (apparently, a previous owner was a heavy
smoker). I've managed to clean them up considerably and have the PTOs on both
radios working smoothly enough that I can easily tune across the band with one
finger.

The passband tuning on the R-4A is giving me some trouble, however. The inner
shaft was frozen up completely and I was forced to remove the read panel of the
PBT unit in order to clean the gunk off  the shaft and tapered disk free it up.
The problem is that, after reassembly, I'm not sure how how it's supposed to
operate because I've never seen one in woking condition before. It seems that
no matter how I adjust it, it wants to bind up a bit.

So, what I'm asking is how many degrees of knob rotation should I expect? How
should should the the screw and locknut on the rear panel be adjusted? Should
there be friction or should the knob turn freely? Should there be any end play?
Where should the thickest part of the tapered disk be when the knob is at the
12 o'clock position?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

73,

Carl, KJ6BSO