Ron -

I've not seen an answer to your question. I don't "KNOW" the answer, but the crystal in that oscillator is operating in the parallel resonant mode, (not typical for solid state circuits,) and about 95% of parallel resonant crystals are specified for a 32 pF load. I have seen a few spec'd for 20 pF load, but not sure why.

Anyway, I suspect ICM will be able to tell you what is correct, or may be able to calculate from the schematic. At worst you could specify 32 pF and see what happens! The effect of incorrect load is a frequency deviation, and L1005 gives 'some' range of adjustment.

Let us know what you find!

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Ron Ries wrote:
Hi All,

i have posted this request several places on the internet and tried to listen
in to the Drake Tech Net but couldn't connect.

I am restoring a Drake TR-7A and the 13.695 MHz VCXO crystal has drifted way
off frequency. I am trying to have a new made at ICM.

I also have ordered on from John Kriner but need the following information:

What is the load capacitance for this crystal in the VCXO application?

Thanks!

Ron
KK7KZ