Hello All,
Thanks for the several comments received re this problem (?).
To VK2IFT: That's the easiest approach and I shall probably do as you suggest.
To WA8ULW: The 'just under 6V' can be taken as 6V. The Manual does call for
6.3V. Do not know, at this stage, how far 'out of spec' the HV is.
                         I do have a copy of an AC-4, built in N.Z. many years
ago. It would be interesting to see what filament/HV it delivers.
                         It made here, probably, because of our 50 Hz Mains and
was possibly cheaper than importing them from the USA.
To WD8SBB:  This was rather an interesting proposal but, I think I will be
leaving 'well enough alone'. Especially if I can get over 100W out.
To W1ES/4:    We have 50 Hz down here and I agree, 'tube equipment', tends to
be less fussy than solid state.
T0 WB6KBL:  All the tubes in the TR-4C have indirectly heated cathodes, so I
don't know if I will get extended tube life.
                        I had originally thought that lower filament voltage
would have resulted in lower electron transfer but this would only apply to a
                        directly heated cathode (I think). However, with
indirectly heated cathodes, the lower filament voltage will result in lower
wattage
                        heating the cathode (about 4.75% lower).
                        However, like W1ES/4 says, 'fire it up and see what
power comes out'.
Once again, thanks for all the comments, they made interesting reading and I
always learn something.
Bob ZL2AAQ