Hey, - Pete -

I bought an R-4B and T-4XB from Bob.  I was a fairly-early purchaser and was
somewhat disappointed because they were represented as an 8 out of 10.  The
transmitters were represented as "maybe not working/untested".  The transmitter
was so heavily modified that I consider it to be a parts rig.  I have scavenged
knobs, a PTO and other parts off it to make it worth the final $75 price that I
negotiated for it.

I just want to make sure everyone here knows what they're getting into (and I
mean this as no criticism of your post, Pete, as I learned the hard way here).
Many of you remember some of my posts of the last couple of months mentioning
the R-4B and T-4XB that I bought.  These were from this same source, from the
same estate, obviously, as the receiver mods look identical to what's on the
R-4B that I bought.  Whilst the receiver worked fine out of the box, after I
did an alignment per the factory specs, I've found that the AGC is pretty
messed up and there were some significant mods done to the rear panel jacks and
to the audio amp - in addition to the AGC mods.  I just want to make you all
aware that you will have to do a significant amount of work to get to a
factory-spec rig.  If you're not a purist, I do see an ergonomic opportunity to
the rigs that underwent the surgical knife of this ham (as the mods were
well-crafted and, in some instances, were electrically superior to the factory
build).

The major one is that extra knob on the front panel.  When I first saw it, I
got almost sick.  However, Drake had never changed the chassis behind that
extra knob and had conveniently provided a target area on their silkscreen
which was transmitted to the final front panel.  The chassis always had a
cutout and so the only place injured by the mod was the front panel.  My
opinion is that a headphone jack on a receiver belongs on the front and NOT on
the side, so the best way of dealing with this extra hole is to install a
headphone jack in place of the extra pot.  If ever you find an R-4B with an
extra pot or hole in the front, I'd wire it with a stereo jack (with the
channels shorted) and be done with it.

Pete, I'd love to see what you've found with the R-4B you purchased, as it
would give me a head start when I'm ready to rebuild the R-4B that I bought.  I
will commence that exercise after I wash and re-cap an subsequent R-4B that is
unmolested that I bought at the Shelby (NC) Hamfest as the only extant Drake
Twin offering that I found there...

73,

Steve, W1ES/4
...my Joe Walsh quote is buried somewhere.
"Illigitimi non carborundum"

.Message: 1