Neil,
These old Drake rigs are communications rig, not general coverage SW rigs. Drake did make models that are, but not your R4A. There are circuits to deliberately block these "strong AM stations" so that they do not interfere on 160m (1.8 to 2.0) or their images on 80m even. Without defeating the input filtering, you are just stuck with what the Drake designers had to fight, AM interference from strong broadcasters on the lower ham bands. Neil, I mean this in a positive way, so don't take it any other way, but you ask an awful lot of questions and it would be helpful if we know if you are a ham or not, and some about yourself so we have an idea of your level of radio knowledge. That way we don't give dumb answers and can tailor questions better to that level. I am an old, retired educator and always did a better job knowing what my students knew.
73,
Don,