*From:* Garey Barrell <k4...@mindspring.com>
*To:* Paul Christensen <w...@arrl.net>
*Cc:* drakelist@zerobeat.net
*Sent:* Wednesday, November 23, 2011 4:24 PM
*Subject:* Re: [Drakelist] SPR-4 Vs R8

Paul -

I think the 'best buy' is the "A" version.  It has more than a dozen
improvements over the R-8, some
significant.

The "B" has only three 'functional' improvements(?) over the "A".

1.  Selectable sideband for the AM Sync Detector

2.  Faster SCAN rate.

3.  1000 memories vs 440 in "A"

There may be circuit differences, but this is the 'operational' difference.  The
"PROM" can be
updated for firmware improvements, but I don't even know which version I have.
I suspect it might
affect the RS-232 communications, but everything on the front panel seems to do
what it says!  :-)

Aside from looking like a VCR instead of a communications receiver ( :-) ) it's
great!

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com <http://www.k4oah.com>>

Paul Christensen wrote:
> Any significant performance or operating differences between the R-8A and
R-8B?