From: "Paul Gerhardt" <phgerha...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, January 02, 2012 10:03 AM
To: <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Subject: [Drakelist] Drake Tec Net Sunday

Was great to check into the Drake Tech Net on Sunday PM on 7238 at
2000Z, thanks to all the stations who offered some insights to the PTO
and Filter questions I had.  With the cold WX and the INRAD sale I
thought I would consider buying a new filter but will keep looking for
a used one to replace the Bad Tedford 8 pole in the TR-4.  I did buy
some matched crystals and may try a homebrew 4 pole and see how it
'plays'  I recently received a nice little 4 plole circuit board from
kits and parts unfortunately it is just a bit too wide to fit in the
original holder.

While continuing to look for a 'stock' unit I have collected some
parts to try to make one but have not gotten one to sound good yet.  I
put some of my notes on my blog http://pgerhardt.blogspot.com.
Several mentioned the problem of having to get two filters an equal
distance from the carrier freq and the cost of two INRAD is not
justified (to me anyway).

Did some more reading on the PTO and it seems like the T4Xb PTO should
work well in the TR-4.  After redoing the T4 PTO I will probably try
to clean the TR-4 PTO bearing and maybe add the braid to the 'fork' on
it.

These two issues are on my winter list for the Drake radios.

Paul Gerhardt
K3PG
http://pgerhardt.blogspot.com
QRP ARCI 6674
FP 274
"You must do this work with love or you fail." -- John Muir, from How
to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive