From: lee
Sent: Monday, January 02, 2012 10:21 PM
To: drakelist@zerobeat.net
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] Sherwood Mods
This may be true but I can tell you I purchased a lot of new Drake gear from
Drake dealers and when I ever talked to the factory regarding them, without
naming names, it was expressed very clearly each and every time their/his
disfavor of those mods. I happen to agree with those remarks. I would never
consider them. In fact, I am thinking of starting a new Drake reflector or wish
someone else would open one where it would be forbidden to discuss foreign mods
except for those really needed because of lack of old parts. I personally
consider the mods offensive and consider a radio with these mods no longer a
Drake product.
I know not everyone agrees with me, but I know some may agree with me. Don’t
get me wrong. If you own a radio, I believe you can do anything you want with
it and you can believe anything you want about your mods. I just don’t agree
with this philosophy at all. I am not trying to start a war here or call
someone stupid for altering his Drake gear. I am not telling you you are nuts
for doing this but I would consider myself foolish for installing them in my
Drake radios. Those are my thoughts. If I was going to buy a radio with them, I
would discount the value before making an offer. If my offer would be accepted,
I would remove the mods and if they were too extensive, I’d refuse to buy the
radio in the first place. Again, these are my feelings and I don’t expect
someone else with other ideas to have to conform to my standards. Just do what
you want to do. I also enjoy using my unmodified C lines more then my B line.
Again, I know some don’t agree with this. Thaty’s OK with me. I just know my
thoughts do not agree with a lot of things I read on here.
There is a British Paraset Group which is really radical, even for me. You are
not expected to join unless you agree to only use the built in hand key rather
then using an external hand key, bug, or paddle with memory. You also are
expected to only use a long wire as operatives used with this transceiver
during WW2. Now these are really extreme rules! I could not live up to them so
declined membership.
But getting back to a real Drake reflector for unmodified Drakes for guys
wanting the experience of using a Drake rig as it was offered by Drake without
discussion of major mods, is there any interest in a group for guys wanting to
discuss their unmodified radios and want to keep them that way? Or am I just a
peculiarity among Drake owners? (Easy to set up on Yahoo. I’m really interested
in hearing from guys thinking as I do rather then from those saying they would
not join a group as I described. Anyone not liking the idea needs not join the
new group. Simple enough). I have a lot on my plate and would prefer someone
else open such a group, but I’d be willing to do it if nobody else would step
up to the plate. If I’m the only guy feeling this way, the idea can just then
die and I’ll just keep using my delete key .
Again, this is not intended to flame anyone.
Lee, w0vt