Fellow Drake Enthusiasts,

Just to recap the past several months, I had a problem with the fan in one of
my L7 linear amps.  It would work but after several minutes it would start
making noise and then just stop.  After fault isolating and finding nothing
defective, I incorrectly assumed it was the fan.  After replacing the fan with
a new, original, or improved version, replacing the thermostat twice, replacing
the dropping resistor twice, and replacing the fan circuit leads, I was on the
verge of running out of alternatives.  Then a friend (thanks Woody!) indicated
he had a similar experience and used a different fan, with success.  I followed
in his footsteps and, without having any logic for doing so, replaced the fan
with a new model that had a similar current rating as the original.  As part of
the replacement process, I changed the series dropping resistor from 470 ohms
to 300 ohms.  The particular fan that I used was an IMC Boxer, model
4715RS-12W-B10.  The result?  It worked and has continued to work with over 6
hours of testing so hopefully this is a permanent solution.  Moral of the story?

Replacing the fan with an original was not a solution as one would have
expected.  Why?  Well, although I bought the fans from different sources (one
was directly from the manufacturer), and they had identical part numbers,
something in the manufacturing process changed.  I talked with a rep on the
phone who informed me that the 450S fan was a sleeve model category, while the
450 was a ball bearing category.  Since the company has change hands 2-3 times
in the last 8-10 years, hard to know what happened when.  So even though the
450 and 450S had identical part numbers, they both must have had some
production line variances perhaps in the lubricant used in the fans.
Obviously, the heat from the L7 was too much for these fans.  Hence, if one
needs to replace the fan, considering alternate models of the fan should be a
priority.  There might be some experimentation, however, to get the right
balance between slow speed cooling that is quiet yet effective, versus when the
thermostat closes to activate the high speed configuration.  Selecting the
right fan and dropping resistor is a trial and error process but it shouldn't
take too long.

I hope the journey that I have been on will shorten your path should you have
to replace the fan.

73,

Evan, K9SQG