Well yeahh  Garey....

I am not suggesting we change the bias for SSB (or AM), just for CW (and real
FSK).

So, you would need a switch or relay added and USE it to change modes.  Yes,
bias it past cut-off, will result in no emission between code elements, but
also over
part of the cycle.

Key clicks could be delt with...  The reason they had key clicks was primarily
because
they were cathode keying high voltages with no shaping as I recall. no?  Bias
is only
on the finals, we don't key those or do we?

Junk?  Isn't our driver pretty clean?  If not, wouldn't we have the same spurs
and junk
with a linear final?

We DO have a tuned output tank circuit for the flywheel effect... no?

BUT, if we don't have enough (voltage) drive, that might be a problem, but we
don't
really need full power...

Don't ya think?  Changing bias for CW wasn't my idea, but it did sound good to
me.
TIA, I am trying to learn here...  There probably IS some reason nobody did this
originally!

73,
Gary
WB6OGD