From: gypsym...@aol.com <gypsym...@aol.com>
Subject: [Drakelist] odd question non Drake
To: drakelist@zerobeat.net
Cc: trito...@woh.rr.com
Date: Wednesday, January 25, 2012, 7:47 PM

Hi to the group,
Am working on a Icom transceiver.  Long story short.  Power
supply switching type, all stuff pc mount (quite the build, as in bomb
proof, literally screwed lids etc unit ),  in any case a
rattle...Got it apart..   AND FELT LUCKY

..Has anyone ever seen an aluminum cap (black non
standard printing) put over a standard electrolytic capacitor (blue 85
D.) ?
 Is it solely to make it proprietary, or was it used for
cooling?  In any case it fell off, I got real lucky it didn't
ground out anything.  There are at least four more caps with that
arrangement.

Interesting and bothersome as all the components were upside down in the
PS normal mounted position.
Wondering whether I should try to get them all off.
Carl wd8nhk

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----