Steve -

Yes, the 150 ohm resistor is a reasonable substitute for the nominal filter loss. You could just jumper it with a piece of wire and subtract about six dB!

The filter is 1k ohm in and out impedance. When you get it out and have the 150 ohm resistor in there, plug it into one of the filter sockets on the back panel and see if it works there? Does it have the correct passband shape, just attenuated?

I've never seen one of these go bad, but there's a first time for everything! My bet is on the switch(es) or a shorted cable.

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Steve Wedge wrote:
'Twas looking at it this evening, and this is going to take some disassembly. I wish it had the same form factor as the optional filters so I could try moving/swapping it.

Am I correct in assuming that I could jumper this filter with a 150 ohm resistor to check the signal level? I'm just wanting to be sure that the filter really is bad before going through the time and expense of replacing it (after all, it could be a switch contact). The case is making good contact with the chassis and GND.

Steve Wedge, W1ES/4

Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.
John Stark.

All my computers have my signature with various pearls of wisdom appended
thereto.