First, I would like to thanks those who p osted info on whitening
pointer knobs and the TR4 tube shields.

     Now, after having cleaned the switches and cleaned/reseated all the
tubes, etc., I am trying out receive side on the radio with a 75ft. random
wire. 20 and 80 have signals, but thats about it. Fairly low volume and no
movement on the S meter ( S meter zero works fine). Also when switching
between 20, 40, 80M, the sideband switches everytime and I have to correct
it with the sideband switch ( normal?). When the calibratetor is used, I
have it fine on 80 and 20 (with a constant low tone in background) but not
on 40. Also no indication of calibrate on S meter. I got spare tubes with
the radio (boxed but unchecked) and went through and subbed all the tubes
in the receive line one by one, no change.
Thoughts, suggestions? Mike.