Tantalums of that era are not as reliable as their modern
equilvalents.  When a tanalum fails it usually shorts.  Modern
tantalums have built in fuses to limit the fireworks should a failure
occur.  High quality test equipment from the TR-7 era or earlier often
have issues with tantalums and I know of people that will routinely
replace all of them once they are into the instrument.  Owners of
KWM-380's will do the same thing.

Dennis AE6C