From: "Al Schichler" <aschich...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2012 11:17 AM
To: <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Subject: [Drakelist] Copper chassis refurb problems

I recently acquired an R-4A that has some tarnishing and corrosion on the copper chassis. Not real bad, but it's kind of spotted like a lot of Drake chassis. Anyway, the back panel was kind of black along the bottom edge, maybe the bottom 1/4" width or so. The only thing that would remove the black was steel wool, probably because it was under the lacquer, and it only came off after removing the lacquer. Now the black discoloration is gone, but the bottom 3/8" or so of the back panel is brighter and shinier than the upper part. It's a little pinkish and bright, kind of like a polished penny. The rest of the chassis is a little more orangy, for lack of a better description.

Does anyone know of a good way to darken the brighter and shinier part of the chassis without having to wait years? I plan on clear-coating the whole back panel after I get the whole thing to look more even.

I found several articles online with methods to darken and tarnish copper, but none of them did anything when testing them on a piece of copper sheet metal.

Thanks,
Al, WA2S