-----Original Message-----
From: <drakelist-requ...@zerobeat.net>
Sent 9/22/2013 11:00:02 AM
To: drakelist@zerobeat.net
submissions to
drakelist@zerobeat.net
drakelist-requ...@zerobeat.net
drakelist-ow...@zerobeat.net
than "Re: Contents of Drakelist digest..."
Today's Topics:
1. automated response (Manny Miyares)
2. Remove me from drake list (kevin.prot...@yahoo.com)
3. mic for tr7 (joe dimatteo)
4. Re: mic for tr7 (Jim Shorney)
5. top cabinet for a t4xc (y...@aol.com)
Message: 1
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 11:01:29 -0500
From: "Manny Miyares" <ma...@catcomm.net>
To: drakelist@zerobeat.net
Subject: [Drakelist] automated response
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 13:12:56 -0400
From: kevin.prot...@yahoo.com
To: "Drakelist@zerobeat.net" <Drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Subject: [Drakelist] Remove me from drake list
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 10:43:05 -0700
From: joe dimatteo <longhaul...@gmail.com>
To: drakelist@zerobeat.net
Subject: [Drakelist] mic for tr7
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 13:11:09 -0500
From: "Jim Shorney" <jshor...@inebraska.com>
To: "drakelist@zerobeat.net" <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] mic for tr7
A 7077 should sound good on the TR-7. You may want to check the adjustment of
the fixed passband pots in the front of the radio. What you describe is one
symptom of misadjustment. Also worth looking at is the blast foam behind the
grill of the 7077. By this point, it has probably decayed to something not
consistent with it's original role. It's easy enough to replace; once you
remove the element from the head the bezel screws off to allow access to the
foam.
Pretty much any decent mic will sound good on a TR-7. I have used the 7077,
Shure 444 variants, Astatic D-104 (non-amplified), E-V 729SR, and Turner 254HC,
454C, and +3, all with good reports. The non-amplifed D-104 with an additional
470K in series and the Turner +3 were favored by friends who know my voice.
Disclaimer: I generally abhor preamped mics where they are not needed, but the
Turner +3 is essentially a Drake 7075 with a compression amp built in. It works
well if the gain is kept down.
Generally speaking, ceramic mics will have more "punch" for
DXing/contesting/weak signal work, while dynamics such as the 444 and 7077 will
have a more mellow, natural sound suitable for casual QSOs. High impedance mics
should be connected to the high level input pin of the mic connector.
73
-Jim
NU0C

--
The universe we're in will reach absolute zero in three hours. Safe is
relative. - Idris, "The Doctor's Wife"