On 28/08/2017 14:13, Yannis Milios wrote:
    I use lvm-based block device on critical installation, actually.
    However, backing up block devices is an hassle compared to regular
    files: you basically need to use ddrescue or, even worse, plain dd.
    Especially with the latter, you need to be *extremely* careful, as its
    "alias name" (data-destroyer) is here for a reason.

I use proxmox which has implemented vzdump for backing up raw devices. No issues so far and no need to use dd.

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/VZDump

In addition to that, ZFS snapshots can be used as a quick point in time backup.

Yannis

Fair enought. I'll surely try it.
Thanks.

--