Hi list,

I have an LVM backed DRBD resource for a libvirt VM that I wish to reduce in size however neither lvresize nor resize2fs are working for me.

backing device for the volume is */dev/trk-kvm-02-vg/blmail* and is currently 300G and I want to bring it down to 30G.  My intended use for this server has changed.

   root@trk-kvm-02:~/scripts# lvs
      LV                VG            Attr       LSize Pool Origin
   Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
      [...]
      blmail            trk-kvm-02-vg -wi-a----- 300.00g
      [...]

I bring down the resource and try lvresize on /dev/trk-kvm-02-vg/blmail:

   root@trk-kvm-02:~/scripts# lvreduce --resizefs -L 30G
   /dev/trk-kvm-02-vg/blmail
   fsck from util-linux 2.27.1
   fsadm: Filesystem "drbd" on device
   "/dev/mapper/trk--kvm--02--vg-blmail" is not supported by this tool
      fsadm failed: 1
      Filesystem resize failed.

So I thought I'd use a hammer and resize the file system and dd it onto a new smaller LVM volume and recreate new drbd meta-data if needed:

   root@trk-kvm-02:~/scripts# resize2fs /dev/trk-kvm-02-vg/blmail 30G
   resize2fs 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)
   resize2fs: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open
   /dev/trk-kvm-02-vg/blmail
   Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.

I would seem to be barking up the wrong tree.  Can anyone point me in the right direction for documentation or suggest what is the right approach to reducing this volume?

please and thanks

--

*Paul O'Rorke*
*Tracker Software Products (Canada) Limited *

<http://www.tracker-software.com/>

Support:
http://www.tracker-software.com/support
Download latest Releases