On 29/09/2021 01:10, Chris Pacejo wrote:
Hi, I have a three-node active/passive DRBD cluster, operating with default
configuration.  I had to replace disks on one of the nodes (call it node A) and
resync the cluster.

Somehow, after doing this, A was not in sync with the primary (node C); I only
discovered this because I couldn't even mount the filesystem on it after
(temporarily) making A primary.  I don't fully understand how I got into this
situation but that's a tangent for now.

Following instructions in the documentation, I enabled a verification algorithm, and
instructed A to verify (`drbdadm verify <my volume>`).  It correctly found many
discrepancies (gigabytes worth!) and emitted the ranges to dmesg.

I then attempted to resynchronize A with C (the primary) by running `drbdadm disconnect
<my volume>` and then `drbdadm connect <my volume>`, again, following
documentation.  This did not appear to do anything, despite verify having just found nearly
the entire disk to be out of sync.  Indeed, running verify a second time produced the exact
same results.

Instead I forced a full resync by bringing A down, invalidating it, and
bringing it back up again.  Now verification showed A and C to be in sync.

What I usually do in this situation (I believe it's because no writes have hit the primary while disconnected), to avoid the drastic step of having to completely invalidate a secondary node, is: disconnect the secondary, force a tiny change on the primary (e.g. touch and delete an empty file on the filesystem, run a filsystem check which updates the fs metadata), then reconnect. Of course this forces a resync and, in my experience and from what I can tell by the number of Kbs resynced, the resync includes the verified blocks found out of sync).

However A was still showing a small number (thousands) of discrepancies with
node B (the other secondary node).  So I repeated the above steps on B --
verify/disconnect/connect/verify -- and again, nothing changed.  B still shows
discrepancies between it and both A and C.

Running the same steps on node C (the primary) again found discrepancies with
B, and again failed to resynchronize.

What am I missing?  Is there an additional step needed to convince DRBD to
resynchronize blocks found to mismatch during verify?

Further questions --

Why does `drbdadm status` not show whether out-of-sync blocks were found by
`drbdadm verify`?  Instead it shows UpToDate like nothing is wrong.

Why is resynchronization only triggered on reconnect?  Is there a downside to
simply starting resynchronization when out-of-sync blocks are discovered?

I believe this has just been left for the user to take whatever action is desired using the out-of-sync helper. I suppose some people might not want any automatic action taken and just have a helper script send them a notification so they can manually intervene.

Eddie

Version info:
DRBDADM_BUILDTAG=GIT-hash:\ 5acfd06032d4c511c75c92e58662eeeb18bd47db\ build\
by\ ec2-u...@test-cluster-c.cpacejo.test\,\ 2021-07-06\ 20:48:54
DRBDADM_API_VERSION=2
DRBD_KERNEL_VERSION_CODE=0x090102
DRBD_KERNEL_VERSION=9.1.2