Hi all,

I apologize if this is not the type of thing I should be posting in this
list, as it is not development related per se; however, I wasn't able to
get answers to my questions in dri-users.  If this is inappropriate let
me know and I won't post here again.

That said, I'm running a Celeron 366@458 with 64 MB RAM and a Voodoo3
3000.  I have a few questions about compiling DRI:

1)  The Compilation Guide says that AGP support in the kernel is "not
required" for Voodoo3.  Does this mean that it is completely unnecessary
with no performance loss, or that it is not ABSOLUTELY necessary but
good to have?

2)  In editing the hosts.def file I'deleted the following lines:

#define DefaultGcc2AxpOpt -O2 -mcpu=ev6
#ifdef AlphaArchitecture
#define LibraryCDebugFlags -O2 -mcpu=ev6
#else
<I left the next line in since it is the default for non-Alpha>
#endif
#ifdef i386Architecture
#define MesaUse3DNow YES
#if HasKatmaiSupport
#  define MesaUseKatmai YES
#endif
#endif

Any problem with cutting any of this out (using a Celeron with no
3DNow or SSE)?

3)  I changed the line that used to be something like:

#define XF86CardDrivers vga tdfx mga ati i810 glint, etc.

to:

#define XF86CardDrivers tdfx

since I don't want anything but what is necessary for a Voodoo3 to
compile.  Is this OK?

4)  Is there any reason that the kernel modules must be built separately
with "make -f Makefile.linux"?  If I force module compilation in
hosts.def, all modules are built (despite the above CardDrivers line).
The same thing happens if the modules are not built and I type in the
make command by hand.  Is there any difference between the two?

5)  Finally, when all is finished and the modules built, I end up with
two tdfx modules:  tdfx.o and tdfx_drv.o.  The first one, tdfx.o, is
familiar... but what is tdfx_drv.o?

Thanks,
Mladen