On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 04:40:44AM +0200, Kreuzritter2000 wrote:
> Now i benchmarkt my Voodoo3 2000 PCI card under XFree-DRI with
> gears.
>
> I get 125.623 frames/s.
>
> The tdfx driver was branch 3.0, dri-cvs from beginning of march.
> The computer is an Athlon 500 MHz 128 MB ram.
> gears was startet under KDE2.1
>
> Is the benchmark value good or bad?
> In other words, did i get a normal result?

Those numbers are probably fairly typical, if very poor compared to win32
numbers.  Glide 3 is not exactly fast in Linux unfortunately.  As a
result, 3dfx cards with DRI yield rather disappointing results.  Don't
take that as a sign to go out and upgrade just yet though - I'd wait a
couple months personally.

> Has somebody other results, same or with another card to
> compare the value.

I got somewhere around 830 frames/sec with my Radeon 64Meg DDR on a Duron
800 with 256Meg SDRAM.  It's a VIA Apollo Pro (KT133A) chipset, and was
running at 1x AGP at the time.  However, any GLX application more complex
than gears tends to be detrimental to my uptime, often times limiting it
to about five more minutes (less usually!)  This is rather painful given
the amount of time I spend coding and testing OpenGL stuff.  My problems
seem to be wholly related to AGP, but without a serial console it's hard
to debug things when there's a lockup.  My kingdom for a serial console.

In short, DRI is going to change a lot in the next couple of months and if
you buy new hardware it might end up a bumpy ride (I'm finding this out
the hard way..)  If you have something that works, stick to it for now.
You might save yourself massive frustration in the meantime.  It's
probably a good idea to ask around about specific hardware combinations
before you buy anything to find out if they work for someone who already
has that combination.

--
Joseph Carter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                Free software developer

<knghtbrd> rcw: Oh yay---I haven't been involved in a good flamewar in at
           least ... 5 minutes!

PGP signature