Kreuzritter2000 wrote:

> > On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 04:40:44AM +0200, Kreuzritter2000 wrote:
> >> Ok
> >>
> >> Now i benchmarkt my Voodoo3 2000 PCI card under XFree-DRI with
> >> gears.
> >>
> >> I get 125.623 frames/s.
> >>
> >> The tdfx driver was branch 3.0, dri-cvs from beginning of march.
> >> The computer is an Athlon 500 MHz 128 MB ram.
> >> gears was startet under KDE2.1
> >>
> >> Is the benchmark value good or bad?
> >> In other words, did i get a normal result?
> >>

> >> Has somebody other results, same or with another card to
> >> compare the value.
> >>

> > I get around 1400 fps with the same card on a 900mhz athlon,
> > so your 125.623 is bad. Does your monitor refresh rate
> > happen to be 125hz? In that case set the environment variable
> > FX_GLIDE_SWAPINTERVAL to 0. You should also check, e.g. with
> > glxinfo, that direct rendering is enabled.
>
> > Ronald
>
> OK, now i tested it again.
> (before that i made a make clean in my mesa-3.4 directory, where i compiled gears,
>glu and glut before)

Why are you installing Mesa?  Who ever told you to do that?  DRI CVS includes
everything you need.

> Now i get about 85 frames/s. (perhaps the windows size was yesterday smaller, so i
>did get better results, now it's
> the size when gears  normally starts.)
>
> I also tried it with setting the FX_GLIDE_SWAPINTERVAL environment variable to 0,
>but that
> doesn't change anything, it's still 85 frames/s.

Does changing window size change performance?

If it gets faster with smaller windows then you are probably getting software
rendering.  Try 'gears -info'.
If it stays the same with smaller windows, then you are locked to vsync.  You
haven't set the environment variable correctly.

> I didn't upgraded to the newst tdfx 3.1 branch, because 3 or 4 weeks ago i asked if
>i get a performance
> improvment when upgrading, but it was said that it won't speed up my system, so i
>stayed with my old dri-cvs code.
> (one question would the tdfx 3.1 branch would solve my texture problems in UT, they
>sometimes look really
> buggy)

You should be using DRI trunk, and *NOT* Mesa anything.  DRI CVS includes
everything from Mesa that it needs already.

Keith