Hey, did these ATI FireGL products already hit the stores now?
AFAIK they have not.

As Linus always told: Things will come when they are done.
Unlike Linus, the driver wont be open source, simply because
of the high amount of trade secrets contained within. But
on the other side you will get premium support on this code.
And you will get a bunch of grafics industry important features
that you wont see in that concentrated form at much other drivers.

But... the FireGL Board is a special edition, with possibly
hand selected chips and a PCB design that is designed and
tested for very high frequencys. Maybe the cooling differs
significantly. You know the risks of overclocking something?

And I am not talking about things like overclocking a celeron
that was previousely labeled at 2/3 of its capabilities because
the silicon process worked better than sheduled.

To conclude, the development of such performance and industry
feature enhancements is only possible because someone is willing
to pay the extra money for it and thus to fund the living a few
high profile developers.

Regards, AlexS.