On Sunday 13 January 2002 11:50 pm, Gareth Hughes wrote:

> > While we're discussing things here, can anyone tell me why
> > things like the emit state code is in the DRM instead of in
> > the Mesa drivers?  It looks like it could just as easily be
> > in the Mesa driver at least in the case of the RagePRO code-
> > is there a good reason why it's in the DRM?
>
> Security.

Okay.  I can buy that as a reason.   Unfortunately, the reason why it's more
secure doesn't appear to be well documented anywhere and there are several
cards that do not appear to have this as a feature of their DRM module- would
you (or anyone else for that matter) enlighten us as to the why it's
better/more secure?  (I'm coding it right now, it just strikes me as adding a
bunch of extra kernel space call overhead without much benefit- I'd love to
understand why I'm doing it this way while I'm coding it into the DRM...  :-)

--
Frank Earl