On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 01:17:43PM -0800, Philip Brown wrote:
| On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 12:16:06PM -0800, Allen Akin wrote:
| >
| > Except for the "turn off all memory protection" part, that's essentially
| > the way most 3D drivers have to work.  OpenGL *is* the hardware
| > abstraction layer; you can't interpose another layer without either
| > reducing performance or restricting access to hardware-specific
| > features.
|
| Except that you already have a dual-layer driver/library model, so this
| isnt adding "another" layer. Just making the existing layers more
| formalized.

Probably I misunderstood your original comment.  But just as a
clarification, libGL doesn't provide an additional interface abstraction
for OpenGL commands; it does some things for dispatch setup, and
thereafter OpenGL calls from the application jump into the driver,
preserving the OpenGL interface pretty much completely (so that drivers
can export extensions that libGL doesn't know about, for example).  That
process is already formalized.  I was under the impression that you were
suggesting we needed a new layer inside the drivers.

Allen