On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Shawn Starr wrote:

> I dont know if this is coming, or if there's any interest. But X just
> *dies* using the CPU to redraw 2D and 3D just isn't even worth using on
> this P200.
>
> I have a Mach64 chipset:
>
> ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage I/II 215GT [Mach64 GT] (rev 41) 2MB
>
> There is no DRI support for this card (at the moment). Is there anyone out
> there working on such a driver? I'm sure a lot of us users would be very
> happy ;)

I do not have GT, but I do have GTB (Rage II+DVD) and X seem to work ok
with it. Are you using KDE by any chance ? Something in it (lots of
eye candy I bet) manages to slow down even the fastest cards.

Why don't you try twm first and see if it is any better. Next try
Enlightenment.. I suggest "Blue Metal" scheme as it is less pixmap
intensive. Also reducing your resolution to 640x480 might speed up things
as well.

                             Vladimir Dergachev