Well, the new TCL enabled driver doesn't seem to like my Radeon 7500,
either.  Luckily, though, at least it doesn't lock up X on this card.

Instead, I'll usually just get a black window where the GL app should be,
and then nothing.  I can still move the mouse, move the window, kill the
app, launch other apps, etc., but nothing changes in that window as long
as it's running.  In the case of glplanet, I actually get the stars in the
background, but no planet :-)

I'm getting something to STDOUT too:

[ adamk@sorrow ~ ]$ glplanet
0 rmesa 0x8077a58 sarea 0x4001a898

[ adamk@sorrow ~ ]$ gltext
0 rmesa 0x8072120 sarea 0x4001a898

[ adamk@sorrow ~ ]$ glxgears
0 rmesa 0x8050390 sarea 0x40017898

Hope this helps :-)  If there's something specific you'd like me to test,
let me know.

ADam