On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 10:32:43AM +0100, Jacek Popławski wrote:
> Are there any projects to assimilate Glide, i.e. to put Glide source code in
> tdfx driver? Are there any problems (maybe license?) ? How much performance
> could be gain this way?

As I recall the license really isn't a problem. The issue at hand is
that no one is really supporting Glide. It's got a lot of cruft. Rolling
it in would then make all that cruft XFree's problem, which isn't
reasonable. (For example, that there are different versions of Glide for
each type of hardware, which is a pain)

Removing Glide by adding only the appropriate functionality to the
driver would be a good project for someone who wants to start working
close to the hardware. It's pretty well defined and can be done in
chunks. You can steal code from Glide as necessary.

                                                - |Daryll