On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently found out that Xi Graphics (http://www.xig.com), a company
> that provides accelerated 3D drivers for UNIX systems (including Linux),
>   claimed that their drivers performances are much better than the DRI
> drivers for most graphic chips.
>
> Has any of you heard about them, and has been able to test their drivers
> ? Not that I want to switch to a proprietary driver (I'd never trade
> freedom for 5 more images per second), but I think it would be
> interesting to know if this is vaporware, and learn about the technology
> they use.
>
> Anyway, thanks to all DRI developpers for their great work.
>
> Laurent Pinchart

I tried the demo of their server on my Radeon 7500.  I was not impressed,
at all.  Though I was obviously getting hardware acceleration (I was
getting framerates over what's possible with software rendering on my
machine), nearly every app I tried performed pretty lousy compared to the
DRI drivers, despite the fact that the Xig server supports the TCL unit on
the Radeon.  In addition, most games I tried had significant rendering
issues, and none would play full screen due to the fact the Xig uses their
own fullscreen extension.

Adam