> > To do that in a secure manner, these commands should be either verified or
> > even written by the DRM. A good way to do this would be have a template in
> > the DRM for generating a set of functions for each of those generated by
> > t_dd_vbtmp.h. (If this idea is viable, while DMA is not enabled in the
> > DRM, this could be initialy implemented with a pseudo DMA software alike
> > approach, as Leif suggested, and we could could guarantee security from
> > the start.)
>
> Or do the d3d-to-mach64 vertex translation in the kernel?  Or is this exactly
> what you are suggesting???

Just to make things clear, I think this is an excellent idea.  Having the
mach64 emulate a d3d-like device allows you to leverage all the good
optimizations we've found for this type of device, have a relatively normal &
sane looking driver, and get security by doing all the nasty command stuff in
the kernel.

Thus the simplest ioctl struct would look like:

        struct {
                const char *d3d_vertices;
                int vertex_format;
                int primitive;
                int vertex_count;
        };

Vertex size can be derived from vertex_format & vertex_count.

Keith