On 2002.03.03 13:48 Keith Whitwell wrote:

> The advantages of doing it this way:
>       - unmapping rather than copying the data is probably faster.
>       - no need to reformat data in kernel space.
>
> The disadvantages:
>       - you have to re-write '_vbtmp.h' and maybe '_tritmp.h", and keep
> these uptodate with any bugfixes
>       - the driver looks less like the other drivers and it is harder
> to incoperate new optimizations.
>       - unmapping is more complex than copying.
>
> It's probably a matter of personal choice...
>                Keith

Since the advantages in getting DMA to work are substancially bigger than
those added by what I proposed, I'll choose to give one step at at time:
  1. finish the update of the mach64 driver to Mesa 4.x without any
changes in the templates
  2. make a mach64 emulate a d3d-like device as Keith suggested, and
emulate the DMA engine with PIO as well
  3. change the DMA emulation to a real DMA engine
  4. decide wether is viable/worthy to eliminate d3d-like vertex
translation by changing the templates.

I think this way we can achive better know-how and even get to the final
result faster than attempt the 4th step right now.

Anyway, if this is a matter of personal choice, I would like that the
choice wouldn't be mine alone, so I would like to hear more people's
opinion about this.

Regards,

José Fonseca