Lustyik,

On 2002.03.18 03:17 Alexander Stohr wrote:
> > i'm really curious whether i can join the project.
i have
> > fine c/ c++ knowledge, but i haven't programmed
under linux
> > yet (but now it's time to change). my question is
first of
> > all, do i need special skills/knowledge (apart
from above)
> > to participate in the development; and, is there
anyone to
> > help me make the first steps?

Please take a look to the DRI Developer FAQ
(http://dri.sourceforge.net/doc/faq/) - it answers to
most of these
questions.

> Start at any point where you think you should start
up.
> Maybe you want see the documentation first or you
might
> want to concentrate on some simple source first,
like
> the drivers vor SVGA or alikes. Or get a recent
snapshot
> from CVS repository and try compile the drivers for
some
> of your hardware yourselves so you can see if it is
working.
> (Yes, good beta testers are a needed resource as
well.)

> If not, go on and see what is needed for fixing. Or
add
> features that are present elswhere or that do make
it to
> your mind whilst reading the documentation that you
got.

> > personally, i'm interested in developing dri
drivers to s3
> > (savage4) cards because i find it annoying that
they're not
> > actually supported.
>
> The savage series of grafics adapters was recently
discussed in short.
> It might turn out that a driver project for it will
launch in end of
> summer or later. This is due to other projects and
persons normal life.

> Finally, be aware, that bringing your card up for
i.e. 2D might
> still take some 6 months and then basic 3D might
take another
> 6 to 12 months. I dont tell you this because i want
to scare you
> but because its really longterm work. The "two hours
and works"
> situation wont happen often.
>
> Regards Alex.

Just want to point that accelerated 2D drivers for the
Savage4 chip is
already there in XFree86. So the first initial chunk
of work would be to
come up with a bootstrap driver, i.e., make the
current X 2D driver
DRI-aware, create a DRM with the default templates,
and create a DRI mesa
driver with software callbacks.

The best thing to guide on this process is the
existing drivers. I don't
know which of the current suported chips is similar to
Savage4. There is
recent work on S3 Virge chips, and the Utah-GLX
project supports the
Savage3D chip - both these could be handy. Of course
that specs will be
quite nice, but I don't know what is the availability
of them.

Anyway, I also think that in the beginning you really
should start with
making some reading as indicated in the "Suggested
reading" section of the
FAQ.

Regards,

José Fonseca