On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 11:27:39PM +0000, Michael wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 01:51:06PM -0800, Ian Romanick wrote:
> > > Michael also implemented agp support for radeon with a similar simplistic
> > > strategy, but ran into some issues looking at tcl and/or mesa-4-0.  I think
> > > these turned out to be artefacts rather than anything serious.  In any case I
> > > think he decided to wait on some forthcoming reorganization of the texture
> > > management code in all the drivers...  (nudge nudge, wink wink)
> >
> > Heh...which is actually why I was asking. :)  There are a number of code
> > paths in my code that I can't test on the Radeon (one of my two development
> > platforms) without AGP texturing.
>
> That's confusing, since 'AGP' is really already there, it's not enabled as such,
> you just allocate from the RADEON_AGP_HEAP instead of the RADEON_CARD_HEAP.
> (Confusing because if your code replaces the mm in the radeon driver,
> you'll be writing the code you're asking to be committed?)
>
> The fix for current code (in all trunks afaiaa) is that
> RADEON_AGP_TEX_OFFSET is 0x02000000 and it should be 0x04000000 (at
> least on my radeon - I don't know what that does to 64mb radeons,
> 7500's, mobilities etc? - the 0x02000000 figure is left over from the
> r128 by the looks of it, so perhaps it is a constant?)
>
> Beyond that, there's no magic that I found that needs to be done, so you
> can ignore the 'fixup agp texture offset' that's in the #if 0 part of
> radeon_texmem, you just add the mmAlloc offset to the heap offset in the
> same way card local textures are done.

This is the part that needs fixing.  Looking back at the mailing list
archives, if the code that's '#if 0'ed out is re-enabled, the driver will
happily allocate AGP memory and explode.  Since this is device-dependent,
it doesn't really fall directly into the work that I'm doing now (see
below).  In any case, I'll find the patch and take a look at it.

I mainly wanted to make sure that the version sent out to the list is the
"latest" version.

> The patch is in the archives of this list so you could grab that
> (next to nothing has changed in this area in TCL) I can probably dig it
> up if you can't find it.
>
> That said, I've been implementing utah-glx swapping c/w AGP texturing in
> a way that only the overrun goes into AGP even as these messages
> arrived.  It sounds like you are doing much the same...which is a waste
> of one of our efforts - are you saying that IBM are letting you release
> your code now?

There was quite a bit if discussion about this at the 3/18 IRC meeting, but
I'll recap.  I do not have permission to release any code /yet/.  We are
still going through our internal process to get approval from legal to make
source code contributions to the DRI project.

That said, I personally believe that it is only a matter of time until this
approval is given.  I have been working for some weeks on this project, but
I have been very quite about what I'm doing.  The main reason for my silence
is to avoid "when can we see your code?" type questions, because I would not
have any answers.

I have been working to factor out the /existing/ texture management code
from the existing drivers.  I've been using the MGA and Radeon drivers as my
proof-of-concept cases.  Once that is done, ANYONE can easilly experiment
with different texture memory management schemes.

--
Tell that to the Marines!