Just to update you all on what I'm doing: I have just finished getting
some of the 4.2.0 patches and drm-kmod (DRM kernel modules in the
FreeBSD port/package system) updates into the FreeBSD ports collection.
At this point I think the biggest priority for FreeBSD is getting mesa
4.0 working, hopefully in the os-templated form.  I've got 3dfx working
great, but ATI cards were just giving me a black window last I tried.
I'll see what Alan's updates in the non-templated version have done and
compare the templated version to them and to current linux source.
After that I'll take a look at drmcommand (which sounds like it won't be
too big of a deal to support, though I haven't looked at the code yet)
and then tcl (again, haven't looked, but if it's just new ioctls it
shouldn't be a problem and should be possible to roll into drm-kmod).