On Tuesday, 4. March 2002 23:09:28, Brain Paul wrote:
> Daniel Kulesz wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I wanted to ask whether development of the 3dfx-drivers is still going on
> > or whether it has already come to an end what would be bad news to me :( I
> > tried downloading & compiling the newest glide-drivers from cvs as printed
> > in the doc-section for building glide3 (end user documentation) and have
> > also succeeded in doing that (i had to use 'libtoolize' first - was a long
> > way for a newbie like me to get to know that this is necessary - maybe
> > someone could update this small guide?) but as far as I can recall all the
> > drivers in Glide3 of CVS are from August 2000, so more than 1,5yrs old
> > now?
> >
> > Maybe I did something wrong but for me it looks like that.....and well the
> > performance improve among the old drivers was cool, but i still miss some
> > features like support for textures larger than 256² pixels (on voodoo
> > banshee/voodoo3)......

> 2Kx2K textures work on Voodoo4/5.
>
> As Derrik said though, Glide development has stopped and there probably
> won't be any new development for the DRI Voodoo driver.  Of course, anyone
> who wants to tackle either project can do so.

There is still one 3DNow! bug (texture related) remaining in Glide3 at least
for the Voodoo4/5.

I had it going on my older Banshee and Voodoo3 but after Joseph Kain (former
3dfx employee) fixed another bug it is broken, now.
So there are _NO_ 3DNow! enabled Glide3 binaries available from any
distribution.

I worked on it but can't solve it 'cause I learned assembly on 68k...;-)
But I have pointers and could help.

Second:
I had three times (3x) higher numbers for Mpixels/sec (~160) with SGI's
"tenmillion" even with the "slower" Voodoo3 that time.

Mesa/demos> ./tenmillion smooth
running on SunWave1 (Mesa DRI 20020221 Voodoo4 x86/MMX/3DNow!) Wed Apr  3
18:12:02 2002
visual: 0x23
50 pixel triangles, 90 triangles/strip, 1 strips
vertex data: v3f
smooth shading, zbuffer off, light off, texture off, immediate off
test time: 1.511 secs.
geometry rate: 929234 triangles/sec
fill rate: 46.462 Mpixels/sec

Mesa/demos> ./tenmillion area=3 smooth
running on SunWave1 (Mesa DRI 20020221 Voodoo4 x86/MMX/3DNow!) Wed Apr  3
18:12:18 2002
visual: 0x23
3 pixel triangles, 90 triangles/strip, 4 strips
vertex data: v3f
smooth shading, zbuffer off, light off, texture off, immediate off
test time: 1.999 secs.
geometry rate: 4566448 triangles/sec
fill rate: 13.699 Mpixels/sec
draw_strips_count: 1

I had comparable numbers (~160 Mpixels/sec) with the Accelerated-X beta VSA100
test driver and ~ 6.500.000 triangles/sec for the second test case on my 1
GHz Athlon II SlotA.

So there must be an optimization missing for the Voodoo4/5.

Third:
After the Mesa-4.0 merge some numbers are slower (ipers dropped from ~16 fps
and > 400.000 Poly/sec down to ~13 fps and ~350.000 Poly/sec). Best case (no
textures and fog).

Regards,
        Dieter