> I recently found out that the 3d performance of the mach64 branch (in
> terms of glxgears frame rates) is related to the physical screen
> resolution. I got the following glxgears frame rates with different
> resolutions:
>
> 1152x864: 155.2 fps
> 1024x768: 165.6 fps
>   800x600: 209.6 fps
>   640x480: 229.4 fps
>   512x384: 218.0 fps
>   400x300: 235.0 fps

I think the default gears window is only some 250x250 in size.

> It is interesting that there is a decrease in performance
> from 640x480
> to 512x384. 512x384 and 400x300 are defined as double scan
> equivalents
> of 1024x768 and 800x600 respectively in my XF86Config. So the CRT
> refresh seems to play a role in this (I'm don't have a laptop, it's a
> ATI XPert98 in a desktop PC).
>
> I'm wondering whether these effects are a bug or a feature.

The RAMDAC shares the memory interface with the rasterizer and the CPU.
So the amount of data it transfers can have impact on anything.
If you have high resoulutions with big color depth and high refresh
rates then are likely to spot bigger impact.

This doesnt specifically address the mach64 but any design of that sort.
It basically depends on the 2-way memory troughput performance on how
a specific card does show reaction on a resolution change.

Maybe the mach64 has further areas that play a role than just that.
I am just thinking of chip designs that are bound to hsync and vsync
waiting or similar might be, but i havent heared the mach64 does
depend on that sort. Furhter, surface alignment might play a role,
but as gears launches all at the same position so there should be
no change untill you change your window manager decoration.

Regards Alex.