On 2002.05.02 18:19 Kees Cook wrote:
> On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 06:13:39PM +0100, José Fonseca wrote:
> > Kees, perhaps I didn't stress this enough but, spite of your
> motherboard
> > shortcomings, you should be able to achieve a reasonable 3D
> acceleration,
> > as is.
>
> Ah, perhaps I misunderstood.  I got the impression that even if I got
> good
> 3D, the 2D would still be as slow as I saw it (repainting, etc).  Since I
> use this machine as my desktop, it's the 2D that's most important.  3D is
> a bonus, and I'd like to help test, but not at the cost of reasonable 2D
> performance.

You did got it right, but nothing prevents you from installing &
uninstalling the snapshot drivers for specific purposes (such as playing a
game). I believe this is true for most people. I, for example, can't even
have 3D with more than 640x480 since I just have 4MB memory. So, except
for development, I use it for a playing a couple of games. Anyway, I
believe that in two months we could have most of these limitations sorted
out.

José Fonseca