On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 11:00:51PM +0200, Frank Van Damme wrote:
> On Thursday 09 May 2002 10:12 pm, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>
> > Might not sound insane, but the bare fact is that it does not
> > work in XFree86.  I could care less personally if it ever does,
> > as it is obsolete hardware.  I only care that XFree86 does not
> > crash.  If nobody else is interested in fixing it either, then I
> > believe the X/DRI sources should detect this problem and disable
> > it by default as I have done, unless we now consider it ok for
> > the X server to crash for no reason other than it being
> > configured in a way that the drivers do not support currently.
>
> Not as obsolete as you think. Untill a few months ago I ran a voodoo3 3000
> for playing quake which is bearable @ 920*7something. Still it would make no
> sense to run it @1600*1200 (no question) so you're using OR dri, OR
> desktop@1600*1200. Conclusion: no problem at all.

If I run my desktop@1600x1200 on a voodoo 3 (which I am at the
moment), but load a 3D game which switches the resolution down to
something more sane like 800x600, will that game be able to use DRI
then, at that reduced resolution?  Or would I have to restart the X
server at a lower resolution?

That would be a nice thing to support, if it is possible to support
it.

Jules