On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 11:44:34PM -0700, hy0 wrote:
> Actually, Greg's problem appears to be the AGP FW problem with AMD761 rather
> than current DRI+7500 problem.
> The DRI+7500 problem happens on all AGP chipsets and usually causes lockup
> when running some 3D games (like Q3A) but not at the beginning of X server.

Not here ... :) not anymore.

> It appears okey to run all Mesa demos. Even Q3A is okey if GL extension is
> disabled from Q3A menu.
> There are some fixes for AGP initialization in the 2D driver of current
> XFree CVS and RH7.3 which may be able to solve Greg's problem.

I had similar problems here ... Random lock ups but otherwise radeon  was
stable. Sometimes that happens more often sometimes it would go without
locking up for a week or so ...

As a side note about SB Live! it was adding noise while playing music ...
That happened randomly ... sometimes it is there sometimes is not ... no
particular tendency could be observed ...

First I didn't notice that but with time noise became more and more annoying ...

... and my resolution came out very simple ...

One night computer's power block just  died ... Next day I bought a new power
suply block 400W and here we go it is almost 4 weeks without single lock up ...

Now with 400W ... it is completely gone ... no random lockup because of
radeon ... :|

I can see now why random lockups happen given what is loaded inside computer :
(all because cheap power block  ????)

MB:     KT7A-RAID / Athlon 850Mhz (not overclocked)
        4HDD (7400 rpms) (RAID enabled)
        cdrom
        Radeon VIVO 64
        SB Live! (constantly playing inet radio)
        Network ...

All VIA based motherboards require no less 300W power supply ... or so.

ps.
no more cheap PWR blocks ... 8)

just 2c.
--