Leif Delgass wrote:
> I got 2D accel working.  VT and mode switches
> also work now without locking up.

Good catch, Leif.

[...]

> OK, now for the bad news:  the driver currently allocates only 128
> scanlines for the XAA pixmap cache and offscreen pixmaps.  This is what
> the calculations for the size of the local texture area have been based
> on.  To get good 2D performance, we should probably allocate a full
> viewport's worth of offscreen mem for XAA.  This will put an even bigger
> crunch on cards with less than 8MB of framebuffer mem.  I think we'll need
> to figure out a good tradeoff here, and then include a config option so
> people can decide if 2D or 3D is more important to them.

This would be a good idea for all DRI drivers.  I think almost all the
open source drivers are optimized for 3D.

> Dynamic
> allocation of back and depth buffers would help here and would allow using
> higher resolutions on cards with low mem.

Dynamically trading off texture space for XAA space *might* be easier to
implement if you can get XAA to release space on the fly.

The challenge with back and depth buffers is being able to allocate
additional space on the fly (when a window is resized for example).  We
chose a static allocation method over shutting down the application
after it's already been running.  If a good mechanism can be devised for
addressing that failure case, then it would be possible to consider
private back and depth buffers for multiple 3D windows.  Right now, we
use the static allocation for a private back buffer when we only have a
single 3D window.  Once we have more than one, we fall back to using the
window clip list for utilizing a single full screen back and depth
buffer for all windows.

         Jens Owen            /  \/\ _
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  /    \ \ \   Steamboat Springs, Colorado