I was working on os-independence, starting with the r128 driver because
I have a linux machine ready with a r128 in it.  It's a gentoo 1.1
system (2.4.18 vanilla),  Rage128 Mobility M4 on Inspiron 8000 (i815),
and 4.2.0 was installed with no DRM.

I made World install with bsd-3-0-0-branch, and compiled r128.o from
.../linux/drm/kernel.  Loaded the module, restarted X, direct rendering
was enabled but the graphics are garbled.  Screen clearing isn't working
and windows are missing graphics.  Upon logging in (which started
gnome), the system crashed (alt-sysrq to reboot).  After rebooting,
starting X again, and going to console, the XFree86.0.log is full of:

(EE) R128(0): Idle timed out, resetting engine...

bsd-3-0-0-branch has the same r128 ddx driver and kernel module code as
trunk according to cvs diff -u -rHEAD.  The X Server, ddx, drm, and dri
modules got installed, so I don't think it's a versioning issue.

Has anyone else seen this?

--
Eric Anholt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~eanholt/dri/