On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 10:08:42AM -0700, Ian Romanick wrote:

>> > There's no indication of the 'top' of the vertex buffer, so you don't
>> > know how  much to transfer.  There's no semantics to tell you whether
>> > the vertex buffer contents have changed, so you don't know how often to
>> > transfer.
>>
>> But why even transfer in the first place? Why not simply map parts of the
>> vertex buffers into the X memory space as they are needed, or is there any
>> impossibility on the Linux architecture to do that?
>
>This is an old message, but I didn't see a reply to this point.  The reason
>is that the indirect rendering path they've been talking about is the *same*
>one used by remote clients.

I know it's the same path of remote clients...

>A client running on a different box can't
>directly map anything, so the indirect clients on the same box (as the X
>server) have to follow the same rules.

Not really. That what's extensions like MIT-Shm exist for.

Anyway, all this is very academic until someone really starts doing some
thing on this but - as Jens said before -, there is no funding for
that. That's why I already had planned to do something myself in the future
(somewhere in the next year); initially just integrate the Mesa drivers
into X/GLcore and depart from there.

José Fonseca