On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 01:38:06PM -0500, David Willmore wrote:

>Well, I've been waiting what seems like forever for a driver
>for my laptop and now there is one!  What a happy day!  One
>problem, it's an older Compaq laptop and uses a propriatary
>chipset (and AGP bridge) so no AGPGART.  *do-oh*

Ouch! :O

>Noone happens to have a AGPGART for it hiding somewhere, do
>they?  Concacts with Compaq they could twig?  This laptop
>was retied over a year ago (by compaq support), so they shouldn't
>be all to concerned that any competetive information escape
>by coughing up the specs for it, one would think.

Compaq now belongs to HP which as been a big linux supporter lately. On
the other hand that can mean nothing.

>Suggestions, anyone?  I sent a simple message off to support@
>compaq.com.  We'll see if that nets me anything, but I'm not
>holding my breath.

What about adding PCI support to the drivers? It shouldn't be very
difficult.

I don't know how deep is the complexity of a agp bridge, nor the legal
implications this, but in the lack of interest from the vendor, reverse
engineering the Window drivers might be feasible last resort option.

José Fonseca