On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 11:58:56PM -0700, Mike Mestnik wrote:
> The install.sh, included with the snapshots,(and make -f Makefile.linux) has allays
>built modules
> that insmod fine, even print every thing and rmmod, but they don't let X setunique.
>getunique
> worked fine.  The error I get from an strace is no access, when calling the
>setunique ioctl.
>
> If I build the kernel using make-kpkg(that really only calles make modules) every
>thing works
> fine, I have to mv Makefile.kernel Makefile and I rm Imakefile Makefile.linux.

Could this be your distribution applies some patch?

> When running make -f Makefile.linux it has $(cc) that runes cc, a link to
>gcc(V2.95.4).
>
> When running make-kpkg I'm using the New and Improved(it's been broken, and re-fixed)
> gcc-3.0(V3.0.4)
> so I put a line CC = gcc-3.0 in my Makefile.linux (added -O3 -march=athlon, removed
>-g) and made
> radeon.o, and it works.

So, if I understood correctly, you need some way to control which gcc is
used on the module compilation.

> If you want I can add some features to install.sh, command line params for all
>options -y for no
> questions ect.  At present I can export CC, but I'l tweak my Makefile.sh from now on.

That would be really great! Especially if with a --help option.

> Also make World will crash if I try to use gcc 3.0.

Although I haven't done again after the bsd-branch merge I already
compiled the mach64 branch with gcc-3.1 without problems. One can get
into problems if one compiles modules with a different versions than the
rest.

José Fonseca