On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, José Fonseca wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 03:55:02PM -0400, Leif Delgass wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > Well, I added these offsets:
> >
> > SUBPIXEL_X 0.0125
> > SUBPIXEL_Y 0.15
> >
> > ...and that's enough to make every glean test pass except polygonOffset
> > (and texEnv, but that one's due to non-conformant hardware).  However, I
> > still see gaps in e.g. the Mesa tunnel demo and the lament xscreensaver
> > hack (and probably lots of other places).  The lines in Allen's stipple
> > test now always overlap exactly.  Jose, I think your changes reduced the
> > offset necessary, but it does need a small offset to pass the tests.
> > Actually I think the line tests start working at a smaller offset than
> > some of the other tests.
>
> I found it strange that it requires such values of offset, especially
> the 0.15. Could it be that we are doing the rounding wrong somewhere?

I arrived at these through trial and error.  There's a range of offsets
that will work, but I tried to choose ones at the bottom of the range.
Maybe there's a more scientific way to do this.

> > I checked in some other changes as well, one of which was to put the
> > primitive type defines in the drm header and common header.  We have the
> > vertsize in the SAREA, and between that and the primitive list, I think
> > the drm should be able to figure out how to add commands to the vertex
> > buffers.  As you say, we can use send fewer vertices to the card by
> > implementing primitive strips.  I just made the defines mirror the GL
> > primitive defines, but we could reduce them to just the ones we'll
> > implement.
> >
> > One other thing:  I noticed you were supporting line/point size in the new
> > primitive functions, so I removed the code from mach64_context.c that was
> > overwriting the Mesa defaults with a max size/width of 1.  However, for
> > large, unaliased points, we need to have points implemented as quads
> > instead of triangles (try drawing a 10 pixel point and compare it to
> > indirect).
>
> It's being done as a quad, so there must be a bug somewhere. At the time I
> didn't manage to test bigger points - now I know why!

OK, it must be a problem with one of vertices then.  Also, I'm noticing
artifacts in quake3 with multitexture, looks like bad vertices here and
there.  I'll see if I can narrow it down at all.  It's visible on the
title of the menu screen and with lightmap lighting.

--
Leif Delgass
http://www.retinalburn.net