Around 9 o'clock on Sep 19, Jens Owen wrote:

> A word of caution about DRM compatability and Gatos.  I'm not certain
> how much of the Gatos functionality Keith P. has integrated into
> XFree86, but they have been releasing DRM drivers that are not backwards
> compatible with old XFree86 releases.

I haven't really integrated any of the Gatos code into XFree86.  I worked
with Kevin Martin to get all of the Radeon chips doing YUV overlays, but
that took register settings from the Gatos code along with some additional
fixes.  The Gatos project code supports significantly more video
functionality, but remains somewhat limited in other dimensions, such as
card support and video mode selection.

Kevin has also been busy integrating 2D code from ATI for the Radeon chips
into the XFree86 tree.  That's certainly helping a lot of people; I can
finally safely restart my X server.

The large number of different "Radeon" chips has made universal support
for all features very difficult; few developers have access to all of the
variations, especially the laptop versions.  My understanding is that ATI
does make developer AGP boards with laptop chips; it seems like it might
be useful to try and get some of those for the DRI developers to do a bit
more testing.

The other dimension of variation is that we have three separate groups
working on various ATI features; XFree86 does 2D graphics, Gatos does
video and DRI does 3D graphics.  I don't see how we can expect each team
to track the other two on an ongoing basis; merging source pools takes
time away from other "more interesting" development.

> (The XFree86 CVS tree also has that funky red-cursor-with-a-shadow thing,
> which I've not yet decided if I like or dis-like ;)

Yeah, it's a pretty lame effort at a consistent cursor theme.  I haven't
every been known for my graphic artistry.  Of course, additional sample
cursor themes would be really nice to have.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        HP Cambridge Research Lab