On Sam, 2002-09-21 at 21:21, Vedran Rodic wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 07:13:46PM +0200, Michel D?nzer wrote:
> > On Sam, 2002-09-21 at 19:04, Michel Daenzer wrote:
> > >   - add offscreen images support
> >
> > I wonder how this mixes with the dynamic offscreen memory allocation for
> > 3D...
>
> Hi Michel. Thanks for the merge.
>
> I wrote that code. It got in XFree86 CVS when Keith Packard & James Ralston
> merged my XVideo patch.
>
> It's the same as for the other cards (Matrox, i810 etc), delta Radeon
> specific stuff.
>
> It basically allocates a frame buffer for video when requested just as
> normal XVideo does, but the whole interface is there for XFree86
> internal modules (v4l uses it for example), and not for the client
> applications.
>
> So if normal radeon XVideo mixes fine with dynamic offscreen memory
> allocation for 3D, then this should too.

I'm afraid it's not that simple because the radeon driver no longer
keeps the offscreen memory it needs for 3D allocated all the time. It
may fail to allocate it when a 3D client starts if offscreen XVideo
images are in use. Is there a way to get at all of them so their
offscreen regions can be freed?